Real Quick…

Looking for my Trentonian story online?  It seems to be about as visible as Jim Leahy’s mustache…which I do believe was last seen on the side of a milk carton.  So you may actually have to…gasp, buy the paper to check it out.

Consoling me quite nicely was the arrival of my tickets to the World Junior Championships in Buffalo, so all is not lost for me today.  If my story does appear online, I’ll be sure to pass it along to you. 

Mike Ashmore, mashmore98 AT


2 Responses to “Real Quick…”

  1. red devil Says:

    Mike, I printed it out on Sunday, the 28th, where did it go?

  2. tdevils Says:

    No idea…but it’s the day after, so here goes:

    For The Trentonian

    TRENTON — This season, the second half of back-to-back games has sent the T-Devils belly up.

    Sunday afternoon’s matinee was no exception, as Trenton fell to the Cincinnati Cyclones, 5-1, in front of 1,682 fans at the Sun National Bank Center. The loss marked the sixth straight time this season that Trenton lost the back end of back-to-back games, and fourth consecutive occurrence in which they’d done so after winning the first.

    “We battled hard, but I don’t know if we have the same energy (on consecutive nights) or what,” said Trenton Devils head coach Kevin Dean.

    “I don’t know if we’re out of shape, I don’t know what it is. We didn’t have any oomph. We just didn’t have any energy to make a difference.”

    After an impressive 5-2 victory over the Alaska Aces on Saturday night, the T-Devils seemed as ready as ever to sweep a weekend for the first time this season. However, defeating the defending Kelly Cup Champions is no easy task, and things turned sour for Trenton early on. Just 1:34 into the first period, after Devils goaltender Mike Brown sent a rebound high into the air with his blocker, Brett Robinson pounced on the puck at the edge of the left circle and sent a wrist shot over Brown to give Cincinnati an early 1-0 lead.

    The momentum swung decidedly in Trenton’s favor at the midway point of the opening frame, however, when Cyclones defenseman Carl Hudson was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for hitting Ryan Hayes from behind and into the boards.

    On the subsequent power play, Matt Vokes brought Trenton back even with the Cyclones with his first goal of the year in just his second game of the season after returning from a lower body injury. After Marc Cheverie made the initial save on a Justin Pender slapshot from the point, Vokes was at the top of the left circle and stuffed the rebound into the wide open net past the Florida Panthers prospect at 13:15 of the first period.

    The second period was largely dominated by the Cyclones, however, and at 11:09 of the second period, Cincinnati scored the first of what would turn out to be four unanswered goals. Chris Clackson, who was briefly in the Flyers system, threaded a pass from behind the net through Brown to Scott Lehman. Brown never saw it, and Lehman hit the wide open net to put the Cyclones back on top, 2-1.

    Cincinnati struck again midway through the third period to up their advantage to two. 9:57 into the final frame, Dustin Sproat sent a nifty backhand feed across the crease to Sam D’Agostino, who buried the puck in the net past an outstretched Brown, who had no chance on the play. Barret Ehgoetz scored on a 5-on-3 power play a minute and 42 seconds later to put the game out of reach, and Clackson’s slapshot goal from the high slot that eluded Brown with 1:17 left officially made it a laugher.

    “We were tired, but that’s their third game in three nights for them, so they’re tired too,” Dean said. “We mustered what, 20 shots or whatever it was? It’s not enough.”

    The game featured nearly as many fights (5) as goals (6), and players from both sides rarely missed an opportunity to finish a check. Both teams combined for 44 penalty minutes in the first period alone, and totaled 98 before the night was over. Jordon Southorn and J.S. Berube each dropped the gloves twice for the T-Devils, including once each against Benn Olson, who came into the game with 50 penalty minutes to his name.

    “It was chippy, but they’re a determined team,” Dean said.

    “But you know what, it was chippy against Elmira and we didn’t respond well. It was chippy up in Elmira and we didn’t respond well. When the other team is determined to play one of those gritty games, I haven’t seen us win when the other team is really determined. We’ve got to find a way in those games.”

    Notes: Tony Zancanaro is “banged up” and missed the game despite taking the pre-game warmup. Martin Nolet injured his arm during the game and his status is uncertain…With the loss, Trenton fell to 7-7-0-1 on the season, putting them ninth in the 11-team Eastern Conference…There were two lengthy delays due to issues with penalty times at scorekeeper’s table.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: